Sunday, November 27, 2011

Grown Up Thanksgiving...

A few signs I've made it to a "grown up" Thanksgiving...
  1. Purchasing the turkey when I was supposed to.  Meaning, not the day before.
  2. Witty banter with a fellow Thanksgiving shopper over the turkey display.  And, scoring a great deal while donating a turkey to those who might not otherwise enjoy one...
  3. Thawing out the turkey when I was supposed to.  No panicky reading of instructions on how dang slow a turkey thaws out.
  4. Not everything came out of a box, or bag.  Points to me for homemade onion rolls, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, mashed potatoes and scalloped potatoes, and green bean casserole.
  5. More points for using things right out of the garden - like onions, brussel sprouts, potatoes and rosemary!
  6. Wine made it on to the menu - sparkling cider and egg nog, too - with nutmeg!  Dad would be so proud.
  7. Timing dinner to coincide with the break between football games.  :) 
  8. Contemplated buying a gravy boat.  But it still didn't happen.  What's so bad about serving gravy out of the glass measuring cup?  It has a pour spout!  Maybe next year...
  9. Everyone fell asleep by 8pm.  Job well done.  However, that leads me to my last comment...
And finally, one big sign that Drew and I are still "new" to Denver...
  1. Everyone fell asleep by 8pm.  And by everyone, I mean Drew, Loui and me.  We need to make some friends!!!  Goal for next Thanksgiving - serving more than two people and a dog.

1 comment: